Monday, August 19, 2013

Starting off!

I write this post, the very first already quite late in my maiden project. I have already cut the first deck beam and fitted it, following a lengthy procedure of honing the gunwales and an far lengthier of kindling the project in my head and heart and of course research. Most of the research has come through the internet, first seeing greenland rolling video's while a beginner whitewater kayaker and then a extensive look at the different styles of northern inuit qajaqs from Greenlander to the Aleutians. I'm choosing the west Greenland qajaq for several reasons. One, it is the most popular, so there is lots of build journals and books available in print and screen versions. The second, which causes the first probably, is that I believe it is the most aesthetically pleasing form I know. Finally, the design is 4,000 years old but delivers a boat that is virtually unparalled in the buyers market. It is half as light, many times stronger, faster on calm water and a more agile roughwater friend then it's manufactured contemporaries. I'd also like to make an Aleutian Baidarka at some point for their long-hauling ability but first I gotta get in that water!

I was up in the air between doing a workshop which range from medium far to very far away from my current homebase and getting it done quickly, with good guidance and more expensively or buying the book which was cheaper, more personally rewarding and more educational. Well, I got a job which has been going full time, now seven days a week, eight hours a day, so I bought the book and I'm doing it after work, three to five hours a day, in my backyard. So far, it has been very rewarding.

I got the book from the QAJAQUSA website, from their suggestions, it's called "Building the Greenland Kayak" by Christopher Cunnigham. I'm following it about 90-95% and filling out the rest with alternate techniques seen on the internet or my own way of doing things, because I bloody well can.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8533980667&searchurl=an%3Dchristopher%2Bcunningham%26kn%3Dgreenland%2Bkayak

There are numerous more books and plenty of awesome workshops to help you out on your own journey. For workshops, Anders Thygesen seems to be the best on the planet, at least my eyes on the internet get the best impression from his site. Check out his website and his blog. He has great videos, articles on paddling and paddling techniques and a blog chronicling, among other things, his 3000km trip around Norway in his Baidarka and Greenland paddle.
http://kajakkspesialisten.no

I got my wood from a speciality wood supplier nearby. It wasn't cheap, I spent nearly $250 on two pieces of Cedar 1"x6"x20' each, one milled to the gunwales, and a 1"x8"x12' piece of green White Oak. Along with the minimal scap at my disposal and some dowels that I have yet to buy, that should cover the wooden portion of the boat. For the rest, I ordered it online at www.skinboats.com. I got nylon ballistic fabric, 9oz/yd for the skin, tung oil, wax, shockcord and the 2part poly-urethane finish for the skin. I literally just got it while writing this paragraph and I'm so stoked for it! I have (almost) everything now! It wasn't cheap and I might have gotten better prices locally but the one stop shopping while working full-time was stress-free.

So I got all the stuff, now I can build it!





No comments:

Post a Comment