Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ribs, Stems and a video clip!

I've finally got all the ribs in, most of the wait being due to the soaking period of
the wood. You should bend very wet wood, pretty much fresh out of the ground wood, not the kiln dried stuff you get at Home Depot. And you should soak it so it can be really limber with a good sauna and do whatever yoga you want it to. However, if it's wet, then it does not cut and shape well under the saw. So I have to know which ribs need replacing and hence, time delays all over the place. I don't mind though because there's stuff you can do in the mean time!

Since the last post, I've cut out the keel and the two stringers that define the chines, tapered them and sanded them down. I've cut out bow and stern stem piece that define the cut water to the boat and I've ripped and sanded and started to soak the wood for the cockpit coaming as well as an experimental piece for steambending the masik! For anyone who actually has building experience, please let me know if steam bending a 2.5" x 1 3/16" x 24" piece of oak and using that is a bad idea. Would it be strong enough?

I really enjoyed getting the keel and stem piece done. With them clamped in place you can really see the shape of the kayak jump into being and it's really quite rewarding.

It's also kind of shocking at this point. I've been working steadily on this project for a little less then two months now but it seems like an eternity. And now, with the ribs done and half of the wood for the rest of the boat is cut and ready, it really seems like the end is in sight! I only have to lash the keelson, chines and stem pieces in, bend and place the masik and cockpit coaming, put the deck stringers on, floorboards in and then I can skin it and do the deck lashings after a coating of the good stuff. So pretty much done, right? Knock on wood.




Now, I've thought that this blog should have lots of pictures so people can come in and see how I'm doing without having to read my ramblings or anything. What could make it better, a video of me! Here's a video of me steam bending one of the replacement ribs!

1 comment: