Monday, October 7, 2013

A new home and waiting paitently for painting weather

I'm waiting for some sunny dry weather for the rest of the painting now. Patience comes easily here because I want this kayak to be awesome more than I want it to be done. So what have I done with this restless energy while waiting for the winds and waters to change? I made a new home for my kayak, where it can be beautiful but barely noticeable to the untrained eye, hidden yet accessible. I've hung it from the roof of my front porch using some eye boltings, rigging rope and an 800 lb hand winch from Princess Auto. Because honestly, where else but Princess Auto does one go when looking for such a thing?

I had some terrible rope at first that stretched right out but then on buying better rope, the system worked perfectly. It is really quite simple. I made two holsters from keel cut-offs and put a piece of rope through them that attaches to the hoisting rope via a caribiner. The hoisting ropes, one for each end go through an eyebolt in a joist, back to the stern of a kayak through a shared eyebolt and then down into the winch which I've "hidden" on the backside of the column there. It's a terrible photo here but also the tree to the right hides the ropes from street view as well and you can barely see the black stealth form of the kayak in the top of the porch. Should be nice and dry for the winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment