Saturday, October 5, 2013

Skin and Paint!


 What an exhausting weekend! Saturday's here and I'm already exhausted. It took me all of Thursday and Friday to get the skin on. The long seam down the middle is so slow. It took me an hour to go about two feet at the most. It then took me another half day to the cockpit sewn in, quite daunting as my masik is pretty arched, so the hoop is actually at quite and angle and has to pick up fabric that is already really tight around the masik. Since I messed up on the bend and ended up using smaller stock than is called for this is a little worrisome as it could break or just not hold enough tension in the skin. But I used canvas so I can replace it and reskin it later if I do so choose!
And I got to the paint today too! This is expensive marine one part urethane from interlux. Boy, did that canvas suck alot of it up right away. There's two cans right there, a litre each, both top and bottom, one coat done. I'm switching to Tremclad because they're out of this paint colour at the boat store, it's expensive anyways, the guy at the boat store used tremclad on his skin--on-frame 25 years ago and it's still good and it's canvas so I can reskin later if I don't like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment