Friday, October 11, 2013

The Maiden Voyage!

After hemming and hawing about paint and it's qualitative properties, I finally got the kayak in the water! I couldn't be happier! I went for a short paddle in Cootes Paradise on the far west end of Lake Ontario, tucked away from the rest of the lake by the 403. It's fully green on its shore besides the small strip of highway ripping along one side separating one in the "Paradise" from Hamilton Harbour. I saw one deer, innumerable herons, ducks, swans, cormorants, an osprey, a couple of turtles and a dragonfly. It was really quite an abundant ecosystem, I'm looking forward to many more paddles there and on the other side as well as some of the creeks up and down the lake!

The kayak was amazing. A little tippy at first and I've got to figure out the smooth entry and exit still but I'm not worried. She cruised as straight as an arrow and just as silently. She felt the best heading into the wind and seemed not to weathercock in waves though it was incredibly calm with waves reaching as high as 3 inches! I'd like to get out in some bigger waves and see how she travels in that.

I've also added the fore and aft deck lines with some shock cord and pieces of cedar. I'll add photos when there is more light, probably my paddle tomorrow! Also, the Fire Red paint has yet to be tapped, the name (Gemini) still needs to kiss the bow and perhaps some designs shall be sprawled on her skin still.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Eliot! The craft looks amazingly sleek in the water. Great job man!

    ReplyDelete